Tuesday, October 11, 2016

October 10, 2016, "After the Holy Order of God"


Email to Family and Friends
           Yesterday was the most spiritually draining day of my mission. I had an amazing study in the morning! Then we went to our first fast and testimony meeting were we were able to administer the sacrament due to the shortage of Aarionic priesthood holders now. We then did some great training. Which was followed by a sacrament meeting we were put in charge of by the new Bishop in the Pioneer Home (Senior Living home) which I gave a talk which will be my message for the week. (Included below) We then ran over to an elderly couple who have been such tremendous blessings to us (he also reminds me so much of Papa!), and gave them the sacrament. 
          We then had to skip lunch and run over to our next fast and testimony meeting, teach a great class of Gospel Principles, and support the new bishop with Home Teaching since no one is assigned to be a Home Teacher yet. Then right after church we had to hurry and visit someone we have been teaching in jail before visiting hours were over.
         We then got a break for dinner, but I was on and off the phone, so mentally I had to still get kickin. Right after that we had the best lesson we ever had with an 11 year old investigator, Jack. He read the entire Book of Mormon Stories by himself! We then went and had to deep and spiritual meeting with the Branch President and the Bishop!
          That was our day yesterday, I didn't even right a hundredth of all the spiritual things. It was very spiritually draining. I wish everyday was like yesterday!!

"After The Holy Order of God"

          "I am called of God. My authority is above that of the kings of the earth. I have been selected as a personal representative of the Lord, Jesus Christ. His is my Master, and he has chosen me to represent him. To stand in his place, to say and do what he himself would say and do, if he personally were ministering to the very people to whom he has sent me. My voice is his voice, and my acts are his acts; my words are his words, and my doctrine is his doctrine. My commission is to do what he wants done. To say what he wants said. To be a living modern witness in word and deed of the divinity of his great and marvelous latter day work." (1)
          [ I would like to commemorate the life of Jesus Christ two millennia ago, I offer my testimony of the reality of His matchless life and the infinite virtue of His great atoning sacrifice. None other has had so profound an influence upon all who have lived and will yet live upon the earth.
          He was the Great Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Messiah of the New. Under the direction of His Father, He was the creator of the earth. “All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made” (John 1:3). Though sinless, He was baptized to fulfill all righteousness. He “went about doing good” (Acts 10:38), yet was despised for it. His gospel was a message of peace and goodwill. He entreated all to follow His example. He walked the roads of Palestine, healing the sick, causing theblind to see, and raising the dead. He taught the truths of eternity, the reality of our premortal existence, the purpose of our life on earth, and the potential for the sons and daughters of God in the life to come.
          He instituted the sacrament as a reminder of His great atoning sacrifice. He was arrested and condemned on spurious charges, convicted to satisfy a mob, and sentenced to die on Calvary’s cross. He gave His life to atone for the sins of all mankind. His was a great vicarious gift in behalf of all who would ever live upon the earth.
          He is the first and the last; it is He who liveth, it is He who was slain; He is our advocate with the Father. "After the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!" (Doctrine & Covenants 76:22) That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created.
           I testify that He will someday return to earth. “And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together” (Isaiah 40:5). He will rule as King of Kings and reign as Lord of Lords, and every knee shall bend and every tongue shall speak
in worship before Him. 
          Each of us will stand to be judged of Him according to our works and the desires of our hearts.
          I bear testimony, as an Elder and as modern representatives and witnesses of our Lord and Savior —that Jesus is the Living Christ, the immortal Son of God. He is the great King Immanuel, who stands today on the right hand of His Father. He is the light, the life, and the hope of the world. His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come. ] (2)
          "And now, my brethren, I would that you should hear me, for I speak in the energy of my soul; for behold, I have spoken unto you plainly that ye cannot err, or have spoken according to the commandments of God.
          For I am called to speak after this manner, according to the holy order of God, which is in Christ Jesus; I am commanded to stand and testify unto this people the things which have been spoken by our fathers concerning the things which came and are to come.
          And this is not all. Do you not suppose that I know of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do you suppose that I know of their surety?
           Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me.
          I say unto you, that I know of myself that whatsoever I shall say unto you, concerning this Jesus Christ, is true; and I say unto you, that I know that Jesus Christ came, yea, the Son, the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace, and mercy, and truth. And behold, it is he came to take away the sins of the world, yea, the sins of every man who steadfastly believeth on his name.
          And now I say unto you that this is the order after which I am called, yea, to preach unto my beloved brethren, yea, and every one that dwelleth in the land; yea, to preach unto all, both old and young, both bond and free; yea, I say unto you the aged, and also the middle aged, and the rising generation; yea, to cry unto them that they must repent and be born again.
          Thus saith the Spirit: Repent, all ye ends of the earth, for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand; yea, the Son of God cometh in his glory, in his might, majesty, power, and dominion. My beloved brethren, I say unto you, that the Spirit saith: Behold the glory of the King of all the earth; and also the King of heaven shall very soon shine forth among all the children of men.
          And also the Spirit saith unto me, yea, crieth unto me with a mighty voice, saying: Go forth and say unto this people--Repent and be baptized by one holding the authority of God, for except ye do these things ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of heaven.
          And now I say unto you that the good shepherd doth call after you; and if you will hearken unto his voice he will bring you into his fold, and you are his sheep; and he commandeth you that you should suffer no ravenous wolf to enter among you, that ye may not be destroyed.
          And now I, do command you in the language of him who hath commanded me, that ye observe to do the words which I have spoken unto you.
          I speak by way of command unto you that belong to the church; and unto those who do not belong to the church I speak by way of invitation, saying: Come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye also may be partakers of the fruit of the tree of life." (3) In the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

Elder Philip R. Bredsguard
Thermopolis, WY

Notes
1. Elder Bruce R McConkie
2. See the Living Christ
3. See Alma chapter 5