Tuesday, July 19, 2016

July 18, 2016, "The Most Misunderstood Sin"

            Hey friends and family, the past week has been full of many miracles and fun experiences. I'll tell you just one of them, we went to go see a less active member and while doing so we met her boyfriend, Bobby. We were talking to her when Bobby asked us what it takes to be baptized. So we told him briefly about the steps to baptism. He has had a rough past few weeks, really years. And he said he needed change, he needed something different in his life. So we told him a little bit about the church in the book of Mormon. He is very excited to read it even had my companion and I write our testimonies in i and he said he needed change, he needed something different in his life. So we told him a little bit about the church in the book of Mormon. He is very excited to read it even had my companion and I write our testimonies in the copy we gave him. 

             I am so excited to see the peace and joy that is about to come into his life through his humility. He seems rough around the edges, but he is a very humble man.


"The Most Misunderstood Sin"


             About four years ago, I was a freshman in high school. Growing up I went through a pretty rebellious stage in my life. And right when I was a freshman is right when  it started to escalate. But I had one of the most amazing seminary teachers anyone could ever ask for! But, I never really paid any attention. There was one experience though, that has stuck with me to this day.

             From what I remember, I was probably flirting with the girl in front of me. When the teacher called on a Senior, and asked what her experience has been with repentance. She couldn't answer. He then asked if she has ever repented. She sadly shook her head and said, "No, I haven't".

             I remember this experience like it was yesterday. The reason this has stuck with me is because at that moment I realized, I had never repented, I had never strived to change. Looking back now I can see my Father calling out to me at that moment. I was over come by the Spirit. I can see His arms out stretched, warning me of the path I was about to go on. But, did I listen. No, I ran, deep in my heart I knew it was right, but my heart was to hard to listen. Mainly because, I was beginning to be very successful in the eyes of the world. When before I was not. Before my freshman year no one at school but a few ever liked me. But for whatever reason, people started to like me, and I was begging to be very popular and esteemed in the eyes of men. And I knew in my heart that if I changed, all that would be gone, because the reason people were starting to like me were for not the best ways. At that moment, when I decided to ignore the council of my Omnipotent Father, I committed what President Ezra Taft Benson called "the most misunderstood sin".

             "The most misunderstood sin, is the sin of all sins, and that is the sin of pride. Just like Faith, Hope, and Charity, pride is an underlying feeling or emotion that guides all of our thoughts, words, and actions. The Lord commands us to have Faith, Hope, and Charity so much because, He knows that if we possess those, they will lead us to humility and obedience, which in turn will direct us to eternal life and happiness. Those three attributes are what have and will continue to produce every good thought we have, every nice word we say, and every kind deed we do.

              But just like Faith, Hope, and Charity; pride, in the negative, is the foundation stone of every sin you, I, or anyone else on this earth has ever committed. That is why the Lord tells us over and over "beware of pride" (1). Our Savior taught us that pride leads to transgression. He told Oliver Cowdrey, the second Elder of the church, to "beware of pride, lest thou shouldst enter into temptation." (2) Pride is the original sin. Pride is what caused Lucifer "the son of the morning" (Satan), one of our favorite brothers, to rebel against Father. That pride eroded his heart completely.

              "Every mortal has at least a casual if not intimate relationship with the sin of pride. No one has avoided it; few over come it" (3). "Pride is a sin that can readily be seen in others but is rarely admitted in ourselves." (4) For example, when I ignored God telling me to change my life, in the moment I had no idea I was being prideful. I always just thought being prideful was being selfish, but it is so much more.

              Ezra Taft Benson the Prophet said, "Most of us think of pride as self-centeredness, conceit, boastfulness, arrogance, or haughtiness. All of these are elements of the sin, but the heart, or core, is still missing. The central feature of pride is enmity--enmity toward God and enmity toward our fellowmen. Enmity means “hatred toward, hostility to, or a state of opposition.” It is the power by which Satan wishes to reign over us." (5) I love what he said, "pride is enmity......Enmity means “hatred toward, hostility to, or a state of opposition." All of anger and selfishness are his pride in action. There are many faces to pride, and we need to know them so we can recognize them in our own lives. Some of the faces of pride our disobedience, selfishness, and contention. These lead us to faultfinding, gossiping, backbiting, murmuring, living beyond our means, envying, coveting, withholding gratitude and praise that might lift another, being unforgiving and jealous, holding grudges, and depending on the world to tell us if we have value or not. 

              Pride is ugly. Again it is easy to see in others but hard to see in ourselves. But we must learn to recognize it in ourselves, because if we don't we will not be comfortable in the presence of God. And is that not our end desire. Alma stated, "Behold, are ye stripped of pride? I say unto you, if ye are not ye are not prepared to meet God. Behold ye must prepare quickly; for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand, and such an one hath not eternal life." (6) We must learn to see the pride in our hearts, because if we see it we can then fix it and ultimately become, "purified even as he is pure" (7). 

                So how do we conquer the center of pride that is so prevalent in our day and so damaging in our lives. Alma earlier in his sermon I just quoted declared, "Have ye walked, keeping yourselves blameless before God? Could ye say, if ye were called to die at this time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble? That your garments have been cleansed and made white through the blood of Christ, who will come to redeem his people from their sins?" (8) Could ye say, if ye were called to die at this time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble? I know I couldn't. Humility is our only weapon against the pride in our hearts. President Uchtdorf once said that, "Some suppose that humility is about beating ourselves up. Humility does not mean convincing ourselves that we are worthless, meaningless, or of little value. Nor does it mean denying or withholding the talents God has given us. We don’t discover humility by thinking less of ourselves; we discover humility by thinking less about ourselves. It comes as we go about our work with an attitude of serving God and our fellowman.   Humility directs our attention and love toward others and to Heavenly Father’s purposes. Pride does the opposite." (9)

               If we can be humble, we can be changed. Christ himself said, "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it." (10) Brothers and sisters, maybe all let go of this ungodly sin. May we free ourselves from chains which hold us bound. Pride is a form of earthly damnation, when pride is in our hearts we cannot progress. I am not perfect, I am striving to apply what I have said in my life just as much as I hope you would. Pride is enmity, pride is a sin that causes all other sin.

               I have not spoken even a hundredth part of what I desire to say on the subject. And I hope and pray that in my weakness of writing, that the Holy Ghost may have touched your heart today, and will have lead you to have a desire to change. May we all be humble followers of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

                I know that as we let go of our pride, that love and joy will begin to enter our heart. I know Jesus Christ lives. I know he came to this earth and suffered in the garden of  and was resurrected the third day. I know Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. I know the book of Mormon is true. I would encourage all of you to read it every day and see how your life has changed. I love all of you, keep doing good, keep trying, and always be humble. I say things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Philip R. Bredsguard
Thermopolis, WY

Notes
1. Doctrine & Covenants 25:14
2. Doctrine & Covenants 23:1
3. "Pride in the Priesthood" President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
4. "Beware of Pride" President Ezra Taft Benson
5. "Beware of Pride" President Ezra Taft Benson
6. Alma 5:28
7. Moroni 7:48
8. Alma 5:27
9. "Pride in the Priesthood" President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
10. Matthew 16:25

*This is a talk I just gave in Sacrament meeting here in Thermopolis, Wyoming

Administrator/Mom's Note:  If you want to write to Elder Bredsguard, you can reach him at philip.bredsguard@myldsmail.net.

Some P-Day Fun...  (Kayli, did you see this!  LOL)