Tuesday, July 5, 2016

July 4, 2016, "Associating with God"




         Hey everyone, I got to Montana on Wednesday. Very I have been assigned to is Thermopolis, Wyoming! My companion/trainer is Elder Palmer he is an amazing example to me! He is an amazing teacher and knows how to follow the Spirit. He is going to do amazing things! The people here are super friendly, and the work is really moving along. My experience in Mesa has really helped me prepare for the field. Same with the MTC, my experience there as Zone Leader really taught me the importance of love, charity, and obedience. I was given great opportunities to council and console others. Haha, the mantle wasn't fun though, haha, I had only been a missionary for a week and a half and was responsible for 43 missionaries! I'm trying to figure out how to be a missionary myself! Hahaha! But, it was an experience I wouldn't trade for the world.


"Associating with God"

          I want you all to think back to your childhood. Did any of you have a friend Johnny down the street? You know cussing when he was in Kindergarten and smoking in 2nd grade. What did our parents always say about him? "Don't hang out with Johnny!" But why, why didn't our parents want us to be around him? Why did they care so much? He's just another kid. There is something in this life called the Power of Association. It doesn't matter if you want to or not, but you will ALWAYS become like those you associate with. 

          Why did I tell you this? Why did I bring this up? In order to understand that, you first need to understand what we are on earth to do, our purpose in life. What are we here to do? Think about that for a while before you keep reading. The reason we are on this earth is to become better and to ultimately become like our Savior, Jesus Christ. Christ Himself asked the Nephites "what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am." (3 Nephi 27:27). He also told us, "and ye shall be even as I am, and I am even as the Father; and the Father and I are one" (3 Nephi 28:10). It has been said that 55% of everything we learn is through association. Who better to associate with, then our glorious Father in heaven! If we are trying to be more like Him and His perfect Son, Jesus Christ, then it only makes sense that we should talk with them and get to know them better!

           But, how can we talk with them it's not like we can just sit right next to each other and talk? Yes, it may seem that way to many. But, that is a false statement. God is our loving Father and He wants to talk with us, and the best part is we can talk with Him! We can communicate with Him through prayer. When we pray, we are having a 2 way conversation with Him. As we pray we will begin to know Him better. We will start to see that He is really there. Christ commanded us to "pray always" (3 Nephi 18:18). He knows everything we need, and loves us enough to help us.

           How can we pray always? We all have things to do and places to be. Well, The Lord, "commanded [the Nephites] that they should not cease to pray in their hearts." (3 Nephi 20:1). I remember when I really started on my journey to find Christ and just be a better person, that I had a really hard time keeping my mind and my thoughts right. So, I decided that every time something popped in my head I didn't want there, I was going to pray with all my heart to push it out. Haha! It's funny looking back and realizing that I was literally praying all day. I truly saw the power of associating with my Father as I prayed without ceasing. When Christ said to the Nephites "ye must watch and pray always lest ye enter into temptation; for Satan desireth to have you, that he may sift you as wheat." (3 Nephi 18:18), He was not joking. As I pray always, my mind is always pure, only good thoughts are there. I saw that as I always turned to Him and got to know Him as my Father, I was literally given an entire suit of spiritual armor! Paul told us to "take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand... Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance." (Ephesians 6:13,18).

           I know that as we pray and associate we will begin to know our Father more and more and start to become more like Him. We will see His love more in our lives. I testify that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world! He came down to this earth in a mortal body.  He not only healed the sick and raised the dead, but He atoned for all of our sins, our pains, and our transgressions. He made a perfect Atonement so that through Him we can speak with our Father, who loves and knows all. I would like to give all who read this a challenge, to prayer more with real intent. Ask yourself, "How can I make my prayers more effective? How can I come to know my Father even more?"

           If you have not prayed before, how you do it is you first address your Father in heaven such as "Dear, Heavenly Father". Then you can just address your concerns, thank Him for blessings in your life, and ask Him questions you may be having. Then we always close in the name of Jesus Christ such as "in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." As a representative of Jesus Christ I can promise each and everyone of you that he will answer your prayers through the power of the Holy Ghost (feelings, impressions, ideas, etc.) But He will only answer them if you say them with a sincere heart. I love and miss each and everyone of you! May God watch over you and bless you, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Philip R. Bredsguard
Thermopolis, Wyoming

"This is what I see my first day in the field at the church building!"