Monday, February 19, 2018

February 19, 2018, "Prayer"


Email to Family and Friends

          Hey Family! What a week! I am loving it here in Billings. The big city life is different haha (~100,000 people). This place I huge! Haha I laugh a little bit as I say that because the Phoenix valley is about 3 million! It will be a bit of a culture shock coming home.
           We are having lots of good work going on here, we are doing tons of snow shoveling for service and have been having lots of good success doing that down here. We have had some swear words and some kinds words to some up simply :)

"Prayer"

              I may have shared this before, but if I have I'm sharing it again! "Throughout his life, Joseph Smith would turn to God in prayer to seek the help and guidance he needed. A Church member recalled hearing him pray in Kirtland, Ohio, at a time of great personal difficulty: “Never until then had I heard a man address his Maker as though He was present listening as a kind father would listen to the sorrows of a dutiful child. … There was no ostentation, no raising of the voice as by enthusiasm, but a plain conversational tone, as a man would address a present friend. It appeared to me as though, in case the veil were taken away, I could see the Lord standing facing His humblest of all servants I had ever seen.” (1) 
               I hope we can all strive to rid the rote prayers in our lives and strive always to make them more personal and intimate. Let us have personal relationships with our Father in Heaven. You will be surprised how big of a difference it will make in your lives.


Elder Philip R. Bredsguard

Notes

  1. Teachings of the Presidents: Joseph Smith, Chp 10 "Prayer and Personal Revelation"

Sent from my iPad