Tuesday, August 23, 2016

August 22, 2016, "Convincing Evidence that Jesus is the Christ"

Dear Family and Friends
               Elder Palmer and I have been coming to know each other a lot better. My testimony of getting to know someone better truly increase your love for them, has grown tremendously this week. I love Abraham Lincoln's quote "I don't like that man, I need to get to know him better." 
                We had a cold front up here, it was amazing! It felt like winter in Arizona. The perfect temperature. It only lasted a few days, but was nice while it was here. There was a derby this weekend! We helped build one of the cars in it, unfortunately it didn't win. But is definitely something I'm going to do when I get home. I love all of you! 

"Convincing Evidence that Jesus is the Christ"

          Through out history we have been taught many wonderful things that help us know how to have peace in this life and eternal life in the world to come. These thing have been taught to us through the words of God's chosen prophets. Some of there teachings have been compiled into what we now call the scriptures. We have been given the Old Testament, New Testament, and Another Testament. All these Testaments are, are testimonies from prophets of Jesus Christ. We learn of Jehovah, the Messiah, and our Savior and Redeemer. 
            The Book of Mormon in no way, shape, or form replaces or adds to the Bible. It is exactly what the cover says. It is another testament of Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon "is a record of God’s dealings with ancient inhabitants of the Americas and contains the fulness of the everlasting gospel.
             The book was written by many ancient prophets by the spirit of prophecy and revelation. Their words, written on gold plates, were quoted and abridged by a prophet-historian named Mormon. The record gives an account of two great civilizations. One came from Jerusalem in 600 B.C. and afterward separated into two nations, known as the Nephites and the Lamanites. The other came much earlier when the Lord confounded the tongues at the Tower of Babel. This group is known as the Jaredites. After thousands of years, all were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are among the ancestors of the American Indians.
             The crowning event recorded in the Book of Mormon is the personal ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ among the Nephites soon after His resurrection. It puts forth the doctrines of the gospel, outlines the plan of salvation, and tells men what they must do to gain peace in this life and eternal salvation in the life to come." (1)
            The Book of Mormon bears pure and powerful testimony of Jesus Christ. Joseph Smith the prophet once said, "the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” (2)
               The Book of Mormon has brought me closer to Jesus Christ. Thanks to to teachings that are contained in the Book of Mormon, my Savior and I have a very personal relationship. I know not only as my Savior, but as my closest brother, my very best friend, and my Mediator. More peace, happiness, and knowledge has come to me because of my diligence in studying and reading the Book of Mormon, than I could have ever comprehended a few years ago. I know the same can be for you, Heaven Father is waiting to bless your life, but he can't until we put forth more effort into reading The Book of Mormon. 
               I urge you all to read this book. Test me, and tell me I don't speak the truth, because I will stand as a witness to all at judgment day that Jesus is the Christ, that the Book of Mormon and the Holy Bible are the word of God. "That Joseph Smith is His revelator and prophet in these last days, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord’s kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to the Second Coming of the Messiah." (3) 
                No one on this earth nor the devil himself can convince me other wise, because God himself through the power of His Holy Ghost, has told me it is true! And wether it be right in the sight of God, to harken to the philosophies of men, more than unto God, judge ye. For I can only speak the things which I have seen and heard. Read the Book of Mormon, and I know you will come to know God as I know Him. I say these things in the name of our Redeemer, Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Philip R. Bredsguard
Thermopolis, WY

Notes
1. The Introduction to the Book of Mormon
2. "                  "
3. "                  "