Tuesday, August 30, 2016

August 29, 2016, "Bless Them That Curse You"

Email to Family and Friends
             This week has been an adventure! A few nights ago right before we were going to bed, we got a very interesting text from a number in San Jose. It said " Killed tonite. My buddy got him." Some of the people we have been teaching are going through some very, very, very dark places right now and we haven't seen them in a while. So naturally my companion and I are making preparations for war haha. We are ultra locking down the house. Haha and we have no weapons so we said a prayer together. Let our District Leader know we might die tonight, haha. The closest thing I had to a wellness was my belt so I slept with it and a bigger sized rock we found. My poor companion didn't fall asleep tell1:00am, I passed out in like 5 min. And obviously we aren't dead haha.
               We play shuffle board at a senior living home once a week and we started teaching an elderly couple, Bob and Vera. He read the Bible every morning and was very hesitant when we first invited him to read the Book of Mormon. That was a few weeks ago now, and he really likes the Book of Mormon now and how if talks so much about the Savior. A few days ago, a buddy of his came over and he told him he was reading the Book of Mormon. Haha his friend gave him an astounded look! He said he stopped him right there and told him that he hasn't seen one thing against what he believes in in the Book of Mormon yet and until he dose, he going to keep reading it! Haha he said his friend just went on and on and on for hours about how bad the Book of Mormon is. But nothing could change Bob's mind because he's read it for him self, and now has a testimony of it! I'm so proud of him.
                 We also had a major hail storm! I'll send pictures. It look like it snowed. It dropped 30 degrees in one hour.

"Bless Them That Curse You"

            "All that is of God encompasses love, light, and truth. Yet as human beings we live in a fallen world, sometimes full of darkness and confusion. It comes as no surprise that mistakes will be made, injustices will occur, and sins will be committed. As a result, there is not a soul alive who will not, at one time or another, be the victim to someone else’s careless actions, hurtful conduct, or even sinful behavior." (1) Our Lord, our God once told us "Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin. I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men." (2) 
             Forgiving others at times can be intimidating. But "I am convinced that most of us want to forgive, but we find it very hard to do. When we have experienced an injustice, we may be quick to say, “That person did wrong. They deserve punishment. Where is the justice?” We mistakenly think that if we forgive, somehow justice will not be served and punishments will be avoided. This simply is not the case. God will mete out a punishment that is fair, for mercy cannot rob justice (see Alma 42:25). God lovingly assures you and me: “Leave judgment alone with me, for it is mine and I will repay. [But let] peace be with you” (D&C 82:23)." (3)
              Jesus Christ in his mortal ministry said "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?.. Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." (
              When we quickly forgive those who make our lives miserable, we bring greater happiness not only to our lives to to the life's of others. Others usually know when they have caused you harm, and when they see the light in your eyes get brighter as you so readily forgive them. The Light of Christ in them will hunger for what you have, they will be filled with a desire to be better and to do better. It will lead them to repent, because they will have seen the light and mercy in YOU. Our Savior once said "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (5) Forgiving others, spreads righteous behavior faster than constructive criticism can ever accomplish.
              "One key to forgiving others is to try to see them as God sees them. At times, God may part the curtain and bless us with the gift to see into the heart, soul, and spirit of another person who has offended us. This insight may even lead to an overwhelming love for that person. The scriptures teach us that God’s love for His children is perfect. He knows their potential for good, regardless of their past." (6)
              Forgiving others can often be very hard and difficult, but eternally rewarding. When I started on my path to discipleship, I was rejected by most of my friends. They saw me as weak and as a fool for choosing to remove Babylon from me and strive to replace it with the Character of Christ. I hate using my self as a good example but I can honestly say, I never held much resentment and anger towards them. I forgave them and looked past their mocking because I knew they didn't understand quite yet. But I knew the would. And now many of them are already or about to devote 2 years of their lives to gather Israel, and spread the glad tidings of Jesus Christ to all over the world.
                The Savior said: “For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses” (7).
                I know that if we can humble ourselves enough to forgive those who do wrong against us, we can more readily receive the Spirit of Christ in us. We can feel at peace. We can know that our Father is proud of us and he will answer us. I know he lives! I am a witness of the joy of forgiveness. I testify of the truthfulness of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I beckon all who read this, to, this very day, tell someone you are sorry and forgive someone who has made a mistake in their life, whether you feel they deserve it or not. "If you are having trouble forgiving another person or even yourself, ask God to help you." (8) You will receive divine support. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Elder Philip R. Bredsguard
Thermopolis, WY

Notes
1. The Healing Ointment of Forgiveness: By Elder Kevin R. Duncan
2. Doctrine & Covenants 64:9-10
3. The Healing Ointment of Forgiveness: By Elder Kevin R. Duncan
4. Matthew 5:44,46,48
5. Matthew 5:16
6. The Healing Ointment of Forgiveness: By Elder Kevin R. Duncan
7. Matthew 6:14–15
8. The Healing Ointment of Forgiveness: By Elder Kevin R. Duncan