Wednesday, August 10, 2016

August 8, 2016, "Faith Leads to Action"

Dear Family and Friends, 
               This week has been a very interesting week. Everyone we have been meeting with, in the past week something very dramatic has happened in their lives in a bad way. It has define fly tried their faith. And we can now see who are the ones that have really been placing God in the center of their lives by how they have reacted to their different situations. I know our faith in Jesus Christ gives us so much of an advantage, when it comes to the trials of life! 
                This week is transfers, my companion and I are both staying here in Thermopolis, WY. We have a few baptisms coming up and a wedding! Love you guys!

"Faith Leads to Action"

             My companion in the MTC had a very interesting analogy. If I just believed that a cupcake would make me happy would I eat it? Maybe, maybe not, who knows. But if I have faith that cupcake would make me happy would I eat it then? Yes! In order to understand faith, we must first understand that believing in something and having faith in something are not the same. Faith is an underlying feeling or emotion that leads to ACTION. If I believe that one day I'll be financially free, who knows if I'll ever get that because all I am doing is wishing for that dream. But if I have Faith that one day I will be free from all my financial issues, that dream will consume me! My faith in my dream whether it be a strong marriage, physical or financial fitness, or a more peaceful home; my faith it that ideal will guide and direct all of my thoughts, words, and actions. 
            Faith is the first principle of the Gospel of Jesus Christ for a reason. If I only believed that Jesus Christ was the Savior of the world, that doesn't mean a thing. I'll be the same person I was yesterday. But if I have faith, I'll will be striving everyday to be in the holy scriptures, be on my knees in prayer, and partake of the sacrament every week. I will be striving to be more like him, more obedient and kind. Faith is what leads us to repentance, and then being baptized by immersion by one holding the proper authority from God Himself, just like Jesus Christ. Just believing in Christ will NOT allow you into the kingdom of God, but having Faith in Christ will! Because if you have but faith, you will follow the simple principles and ordinances of the Gospel, which will allow you into the kingdom of heaven.
             I want you all to honestly ask yourselves, do you have faith in Jesus Christ, or do you only believe? A scripture in The Book of Mormon tells us, "And behold, ye do know of yourselves, for ye have witnessed it, that as many of them as are brought to the knowledge of the truth, and to know of the wicked and abominable traditions of their fathers, and are led to believe the holy scriptures, yea, the prophecies of the holy prophets, which are written, which leadeth them to faith on the Lord, and unto repentance, which faith and repentance bringeth a change of heart unto them" (1) My understanding of the scripture is that as we study the scriptures, our faith will increase, which in turn will lead us to repentance, which we then become more Christlike.
             I can remember when I only believed, I eventually reached a point in time in my life were a decision had to be made. Either this was all fake and I was wasting my time, or this was all true, and if it was true I would devote all of my time and energy into it. Because that is just the smart thing to do. This is a black and white situation. There is no in between. This church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, is either Gods only true church or it is the devils. So I read the Book of Mormon in 30 days. I poured my soul into the gospel. I had to know! And I received my answer, by asking God, Him who knows all things, if the Book of Mormon is true after I had read it. My faith began to grow, I just knew it was the word of God. I just knew! Through the Holy Ghost.
             Brothers and Sisters, if you only believe, or even just hope that peace and joy can come into your life. I plead with you, let this desire work in you, read the Book of Mormon and ask God the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if this is true. I can promise that an answer will come. I know with out a shadow of a doubt that Christ lives! And I know you can know that too. And as your faith grows, your life will improve. I am a witness of these things, and I say these things in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Philip R. Bredsguard
Thermopolis, WY

Notes
1. Helaman 15:7