Tuesday, September 13, 2016

September 12, 2016, "With His Stripes We Are Healed"

Email to Family and Friends
             Haha I'm so tired, but I'm so happy! On Friday at the beginning of lunch, I closed my eyes for a second then all of a sudden it was an hour later! There has been a lot of success. There is a baptism coming up this week, I'm exited to tell you about him next week haha. 
             Transfers are next week, I'll probably stay here. Which is fine by me! The people are very respectful in this town. There isn't a whole lot of hate towards us here, hopefully my next area, I need some persecution every once and while. Haha this town is too righteous.

"With His Stripes We Are Healed"

            Some years ago, President Gordon B. Hinckley told “something of a parable” about “a one room school house in the mountains of Virginia where the boys were so rough no teacher had been able to handle them.
      “Then one day an inexperienced young teacher applied. He was told that every teacher had received an awful beating, but the teacher accepted the risk. The first day of school the teacher asked the boys to establish their own rules and the penalty for breaking the rules. The class came up with 10 rules, which were written on the blackboard. Then the teacher asked, ‘What shall we do with one who breaks the rules?’
      “‘Beat him across the back ten times without his coat on,’ came the response.
      “A day or so later, … the lunch of a big student, named Tom, was stolen. ‘The thief was located--a little hungry fellow, about ten years old.’
      “As Little Jim came up to take his licking, he pleaded to keep his coat on. ‘Take your coat off,’ the teacher said. ‘You helped make the rules!’
      “The boy took off the coat. He had no shirt and revealed a bony little crippled body. As the teacher hesitated with the rod, Big Tom jumped to his feet and volunteered to take the boy’s licking.
      “‘Very well, there is a certain law that one can become a substitute for another. Are you all agreed?’ the teacher asked.
      “After five strokes across Tom’s back, the rod broke. The class was sobbing. ‘Little Jim had reached up and caught Tom with both arms around his neck. “Tom, I’m sorry that I stole your lunch, but I was awful hungry. Tom, I will love you till I die for taking my licking for me! Yes, I will love you forever!”’” (1)
      President Hinckley then quoted Isaiah: “Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows. …
       “… He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.” (2)
       In modern times, the risen Lord, revealed this insight to the prophet Joseph Smith: "Listen to him who is the advocate with the Father, who is pleading your cause before him--
       "Saying: Father, behold the sufferings and death of him who did no sin, in whom thou wast well pleased; behold the blood of thy Son which was shed, the blood of him whom thou gavest that thyself might be glorified;
       "Wherefore, Father, spare these my brethren that believe on my name, that they may come unto me and have everlasting life." (3)
       Jesus Christ, our Savior, is the cornerstone from all eternity to all eternity. He is the stone which is being set at naught by the world. But we must always remember that "there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." (4)
       I usually invite you all to apply what I write in my emails each week. My invitation to you this week is a little different. We are told that, “this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.” (5)
       My invitation to you is get know Him, Jesus Christ. Don't just study about him. Learn of him, what is his character, who is Jesus Christ. Read in the Standard Works (Holy Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price). If you would like something specific to read, I suggest anyone of these chapters. 2 Nephi 2 & 9, Luke 22-24, Isaiah 53, Doctrine & Covenants 19, and The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles. These are just a few. 
         As you get to know of Him you will begin to see yourself become more like Him. I love Him with every fiber of my being. I would be utterly lost with out him. He is my rock and my foundation. He shows me right from wrong, so that I may be able to revive tremendous blessings beyond all belief. The same can be for you, if you follow him. Do what he would do, and act as he would act. Just remember, you can't follow someone you don't know. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Elder Philip R. Bredsguard
Thermopolis, WY

Notes
1. The Atonement: Our Greatest Hope by: President James E Faust
2. Isaiah 53:4-5
3. Doctrine & Covenants 45:3-5
4. Acts 4:12
5. John 17:3