Tuesday, September 12, 2017

September 11, 2017, "The Condescension of God"


Email to Family and Friends

          This week was a whole lot of hospital visits! This Tuesday one of the New Missionaries, Elder Millett, went into the ER, and he has pneumonia. He has been in there all week, the soonest he will get released is tomorrow. So we have gone to the hospital at least 3 times a day to check on them and do mini exchanges, so his companion doesn't die of cabin fever haha.
          Also Brother B one of our favorite friends, members, and neighbor. Went to the ER as well Thursday night! So we got feed his horses all week since he couldn't and this morning our other favorite friend, neighbor, and member went into the Hospital this morning, so that was really our week with some awesome lessons of corse! 

"The Condescension of God"

           In the "Psalm of Nephi" we are pretty familiar with his words "Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities." (1)
            Recently I have been studying the Condescension of Jesus Christ. I wanted to know what the meant. I found later in Nephis words, this, "O then, if I have seen so great things, if the Lord in his condescension unto the children of men hath visited men in so much mercy, why should my heart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow, and my flesh waste away, and my strength slacken, because of mine afflictions?" (2)
            At a quick glance this verse may have no meaning to you, but as one with authority I will expand on this subject. In a more detailed way, Nephi is saying, "If I have been so blessed to see in visions, dreams, and revelations by the power of the Holy Ghost; the LORD, God Almighty, the Great JEHOVAH descend from the glory he had with the Father, before the world was, to this pathetic (in comparison) earth, where He, the God of Glory, the Lord of Hosts, the Creator of worlds and kingdoms without number; is mocked, scourged, persecuted, spit upon, and crucified. And then hath visited us in so much mercy and love. Why should I allow myself to sit in the slum of self pity, and morn because of my afflictions?" 
             And now I declare in the words of Jacob, "my beloved brethren, seeing that our merciful God has given us so great knowledge concerning these things, let us remember him, and lay aside our sins, and not hang down our heads, for we are not cast off" (3)
              If we can always retain a remembrance of our Savior Jesus Christ, we will have no desire for sin, no place in our hearts for self pity, and no room in our souls for the canker of pride. We will abound in the love of God and neighbor. (4) These things are true for the Lord God hath spoken it, in the sacred name of a Jesus Christ, amen.

Notes
  1. 2 Nephi 4:17
  2. 2 Nephi 4:26
  3. 2 Nephi 10:20
  4. See Mosiah 4:11-13

Elder Philip R. Bredsguard


Sent from my iPad