Tuesday, March 28, 2017

March 27, 2017, "Rock of Offense"


Email to Family and Friends
           This week we had a Zone Conference in Helena and on our way up there the other Butte Elders crashed on the side of the highway 10 miles out side of Butte (no one was hurt). And we forgot our phone, and of course they tried calling us a lot, but obviously we couldn't here it. Haha apertently we drove right past them as well. Haha I must have been to focused on the road or something (zoned out) and we didn't see them. 
          When we get to Helena I walk into the foyer and President Wadsworth is just eying me down. So I was kinda weirded out and I went into the chapel and set my stuff down and I walk back into the foyer and President in right there and urgently asks, "Elder Bredsguard, were is your phone!?" I said, "We forgot it, I'm sorry President." Then he softly says "The Butte Elders crashed right out side of Butte." The way he said it i thought they died!! I felt so bad! Haha I borrow another missionaries phone and call them and they are all fine, the rode was icy, they hit a tree and a fence. They eventually just Skype into the Zone Conference while I held the iPad. 
           So because if that their car was totaled, and we have to give them rides everywhere now haha. I don't mind it, it's fun to see them a lot now.
          We had 2 baptisms this week! One was Trey Smith and the other was Stormy Penn. Stormy just randomly came to church a month ago and was like, I want to get baptized can you help me? She is amazing! She just soaked up the Gospel like a sponge. 
           
"Rock of Offense" 

          "Sanctify the Lord of Hosts himself, and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread."
          "And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling, and for a rock of offense to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem." (1)
          We are to walk reverently and humbly before the Lord. We are to trust in him, for he will be our sanctuary, our place of security. 
          But, if we chose not to, the Holy One of Israel will be a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense in our paths.
          Elder Bruce R. McConkie (1915–85) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles noted the ability of  “Immanuel” to both save and condemn:  “When the stone of Israel comes,  he shall be a sanctuary for the righteous; they shall find peace and safety under the shelter of his gospel; but he shall be a Stone of Stumbling and a Rock of Offense (as also a gin and a snare) to the rebellious and disobedient in Jerusalem and in all Israel.  They shall stumble and fall because of him; they shall take offense because of his teachings and be condemned and broken and snared and taken for rejecting them” (2)
          God will allow things to come in our paths and it is up to us to allow Him to make them into stubbing blocks or stepping stones. I plead to all to trust Jesus Christ and he will do marvelous things in your life! In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Elder Philip R. Bredsguard
Mission Home: 1848 Rimrock Road,  Billings,  Montana  59102
Current Address: 1704 Lowell Ave, Butte, MT 59701

Notes
  1. 2 Nephi 18:13-14, also see Isaiah 8:13-14
  2. Doctrinal New Testament Commentary,  3  vols.  [1971–73],  3:292–93

Sent from my iPad